Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Some thoughts

I'm reading about "Reflective Dialogue", waiting for Chinrinee to call, and thinking more about our first session. I was, (and still am) concerned about not understanding, or misunderstanding, some of what was said. Then I started thinking that it could be a benefit for me, almost a forced lesson on listening. Chinrinee's beautiful accent can be hard for me to understand, so I have the opportunity to listen as hard as I can, and truly focus on what she is saying.

The language used in this course is difficult for me. I can't imagine attempting this in a second language. I'll have to ask Chinrinree about my NE accent, and if she has a similar experience.

Getting back to the lecture, I was thinking about different ways in which we could slow down the dialogue, and evoke listening. It might be a good experiment to ask everyone to write their comments and contributions to meetings on paper, or on the Whiteboard, for all to see. It would provide a permanence that we miss by speaking, as well as provide accountability.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting point. I think what I've been noticing though is that people's dialogue styles come through on Vista and in the blogs. I love to write and type, so I write a lot. I wonder if people feel as if they "know" me better than they know the members of the class who are less verbose? I wonder if even without knowing me people are becoming annoyed?

    What I'm really trying to say is that I have the same hang up about our virtual dialogue that I do about dialogue in person. What do you do about that person who hogs the air time or the one who is so shy that you have to work to get him/her to voice his/her opinion? I wonder if your solution would help fix that or merely be another venue for it to play out.

    ReplyDelete