Sunday, February 28, 2010

Coaching Session #2

This session was great fun for me. I assumed the role of, "opposer" with my Coach Marc. Funny, because given the relative anonymity of a long-distance phone call, and an audience of one, I was able to play Devil's Advocate, and argue a very unpopular topic, (sexual rights of the Residents) along with the possible legal ramifications. In this situation, the role play was fun. As I mentioned in a previous post, because I sit on the Human Rights Committee, I have to assume the rule of opposer, and although I have been practicing this for years, it is still very uncomfortable for me.

The opportunity to share the Four-Player model simply presented itself to me. A co-worker was complaining about the way a morning meeting went, and with my permission, complained for a while. I explained the model, his role as a "Bystander", and talked about the role of "Opposer", which was something he reportedly experienced that morning. It was very apparent the way a change in the norm can be disconcerting at best, and in my co-worker's case, upsetting. After our conversation, he asked for a copy of the model, which I provided. I think having the illustration helped him to depersonalize the conflict he was a part of earlier that day.

Honestly, I am still working on applying the model with the PhD. We work in seperate buildings, and between missing work due to a sinus infection, and isolating myself at work because of my symptoms, I haven't yet had the opportunity. I might be setting sights too high here. So if I don't have the conversation with him tomorrow, I will venture to the Administration building, and have the conversation with someone whose job is in the business office.

No comments:

Post a Comment