Saturday, February 27, 2010

First Coachee Session

I had a great hour getting to know Marc, sharing information about our work and education history. As it turns out, we work in similar settings, and have each completed the ABA coursework at U-Mass.

It was difficult for me to provide the answers to the questions, and I would find myself veering off, talking about whole other subjects. It was very nice to be able to talk with someone with whom I have so much in common, to be able to share a story and feel that I was understood! I must say, my coach has this rare quality.

The transformative learning experience for me was downhill skiing. Learning to ski(pizza pie, frnch fry) gave me the confidence to try other sports and challenges, such as mountain biking, triathlon and marathon. Admittedly, I'm not very good at any one sport, but I am open to new adventures- Which could lead to my current education experience.

I see this graduate program as my passport to new adventures. Once I have my BCBA, I plan on relocating to a new home, (where ever that may be) to a great new job (what ever that may be).

Thank you very much Marc, for letting me tell my story.

Jo Ann

1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous of your willingness to just move somewhere new. I've always wanted that quality myself. I say all the time that I'm going to up and move to northern California, but at 25 I live 3 miles from where I grew up.

    I think that sense of daring is something that every group needs - at least one person who is willing to take a risk, whatever it may be. My coach and I were talking the other night about how being the mover requires a lot risk. Making change is so scary for so many people and I think that's where a lot of groups stagnate. They see an idea that would be great, but are fearful. Good for you for not being scared.

    ReplyDelete