Sunday, April 4, 2010

Week 9's Coaching Call

Due to the holiday and other work and family obligations, I was feeling rushed in this week's call, so I hope I was somewhat understood. I think clarity has been a regular theme in my postings.
I talked with Marc about an experience I had with a co-worker I felt was overbearing and controlling. She had literally taken over a meeting last week, and I was annoyed, to say the least. This week's assignment gave me the opportunity to move on from my Judgemental Listening to Listening from Outside the Primacy of Parts.

Looking at the picture on our assignment, I could feel myself being that dot, moving from the inside to the outside. After listening, just listening, it became very clear that we share many of the same concerns, ideas, and worries about changes at work. Her response to these events is to stand up and take charge. Mine is the polar opposite. Being able to take a few minutes to understand that she could not sit quietly any more than I could stand up and take the microphone, alleviated my anger. She is not her point of view, anymore than she is her response to a very stressful situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment